Thread: Bonding and Insurance for a 15 year old?

Bonding and Insurance for a 15 year old?

I'm 15 and have been running a lawn service since I was 9...and am looking to expand quite a lot this year. Instead of the average 9 lawns a week I used to have, I'm working on getting around 50 a week. Would you recomend me get insurance? How about bonding? I will be licensed next week, as it is required for me. Thanks! Nick Herweck - Five Guys and a Lawnmower

Administrator
    Hi Nick,

Glad you joined the Forum. When I started out I waited to get insurance because I was the only guy. The more employees you have the greater the risk for something to go wrong as they may be a little more careless about things than you.If you plan on getting that many yards I would definitely get insurance. Luckily I never did anything except break a couple of windows from rocks. I am so thankful it wasn't a child I hit. Since you are 15, everything that you do can fall back on your parents. I would suggest if running that many yards to get insurance to protect you and more importantly them. I personally was never bonded and do not know many of my friends that are in this industry.

It's awesome you have such a motivation to increase your business. Don't ever give up that drive. That will set you apart from many people.

Arrow More about it

I'm in a similar situation, 17 turning 18 this summer, and looking for insurance. Do you know of any agency's that deal with lawncare primarily from prior experience? good or bad

Lightbulb allied insurance

I bought insurance from Allied insurance, 470? for 1 year. I got it through an insurance agent i was referred to. I needed it quick to get some jobs, and contacted the guy, and bought it the next day.

your going to have a hard time finding anyone who is going to insure a minor. believe me, I know. I too, am 15, and your going to have a hard time finding any insurance carrier that will take you. if you do find one that will take a risk on you, grab at it. you may have to pay a lot for it in the first year, but after that, it will be easier to get other insurance company's willing to take a look at you.

btw, when you a minor, if someone sues you, they can only sue your parents, so it them that are taking the risk.

Question Auto Insurance?

Does anyone know what type(s) of insurance are best for a small business (i.e. 3-4 employees)? Would a commercial vehicle policy be necessary if employees are towing a company trailer with their own personal vehicle?

Lightbulb general small business insurance

I went with the least expensive insurance required by my state. As far as auto insurance, they should be on their own otherwise you are at stake. Have them get it themselves and they they feel invested in their business and will have more of a realization that they are a part of their work. And a great incentive for them not to quit and leave you with unhappy customers down the road. You will probably want to insure your mowers depending on responsibility and set up.

Leaf Blowers and Trimmers are easy to steal, and often expensive. How long does it take to steal a blower? about 5 second to pull up next to a trailer, throw it in the back of your truck, and there you have a $300>> blower for ebay. So either insure, or lock w/ one thats quick to undo, yet deters a quick theft. Realize, that a lock can't stop someone at night. Because if they really want to steal something, they will find a way.

Oh yeah, do you really need insurance if you lock your stuff during the day, and at night park in a garage or barn? Or live in the country? Up to you, it's your equipment.

*Time is money. So make the most of it.

Incorporating the business

Another way to protect yourself when you get insurance is by incorporating yourself to keep the business insurance low, you incorporate at an LLC level. This is Limited Liability Corporation. If for some reason you are sued for say a flying rock hitting a child, the person can only sue the corporation and for only the insurance that you have available. This allows protection to you civily because they can only sue an entity not the individual.

LLC?

I've wondered often about what LLC was all about. Do you incorporate with the state and then what? I'm somewhat confused. I have insurance with $1000 Deductible etc. (general business insurance) and I'd like to be sure they don't come after me in the event some freak accident happens like that.

Where you get it???