Thread: New and Need Help!

New and Need Help!

Hi Guys.

I'm new to the business in Cleveland Ohio. I've spent the last three weekends passing out 1200 flyers on mailboxes and doors. I tried to make it very professional. Should it have a bunch of FREE OFFERS.... I've only received 6 calls. Something must be wrong. Should I have more hooks or what? I'm getting very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do you think it's too early in the season here to be out?

Dave

Houston Texas My service areas are:Cypress katy tomball and houston north and south

new lawn service in houston

Hi Dave in that same position I only received 1 call please forward the information if some one replies to you with some helpful hints the name of my company is 504 Lawnservice in houston. Thanks

I can offer free advertising

I have a new service business oriented web site called Odd Jobs for Bid. Since the site is new, I am offering a 1 year advertising package for free to businesses. You get a business directory listing, banner advertising and unlimited bidding in a package. Check us out at http://www.oddjobsforbid.com

Hello, I am also having a slow time getting any response. I need some advice on exactly how to get the yards easily as I am having trouble getting customers interest and lawn season is only a couple of weeks away. I got the business cards and plan on doing the flyers. I have done a little door to door but with not much success. I am in a fairly good location with three large cities within 15-25 minutes and a lot of nice subdivisions around. Maybe you guys have advice on what to say to potential customers. Or am I starting too early? Is there anything I need to look for when picking a yard, such as very nice landscaping probably means they dont want/need any services? Anything would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Talking

We have had success with flyers, signs, and newspaper ads.

Flyers - not only placing them at houses (on the door or on the mailbox, not in the mailbox that's against the law) but also at businesses around town (meaning put your flyers on the counters by the registers at businesses like the local buffett, coffee bar, music store, etc.

Signs - Cheapily made signs to stick on teleophone poles (check with city to see if against the law) on sticks or wire to stand up in the ground on corners and busy intersections, or in customers yards you already cut.

Newspaper Ads - local newspaper ads but has to be short, sweet, and to the point.

Team Up with other business that do services you do not and trade out business, meaning if you just cut yards, team up with landscaping company, pest control company, tree service company, lawn weed control company, and make a deal that if someone asks about their service you will send them to the company you teamed up with and vice versa.
    [b]Perfect Lawn Services[/b]

getmorelawnbusiness
    Hi Dave,

I would goto http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ and post a free ad every morning for the services you offer. In the ad, be sure to mention that the customer tells you that they "found you on Craigslist" so you can see where your customers come from.

You could also create a 1 page website, open a google adwords account for $5, and begin advertising your services on the web for your local area. It's much cheaper than 1200 flyers printed and distributed.

Hope this helps
    Brett

I'VE REALLY NOTICED THAT JUST BEING OUT THERE CUTTING GRASS WILL BRING YOU ALOT OF NEW CUSTOMERS. I WAS CUTTING A YARD THE OTHER DAY AND I HAD THREE PEOPLE STOP OUT AT THE ROAD AND SIGNAL ME OVER TO THEM AND ASK ME ABOUT CUTTING THEIR YARD. THEY ALL LIVED ON THE SAME STREET. SO GETTING IN NICE NEIGHBORHOODS AND MAKING YOUR YARDS LOOK PERFECT WILL BRING YOU ALOT OF WORK. I'M STILL PUSHING TO GET MORE YARDS BY PUTTING OUT FLIERS. IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY STACK OF FLIERS I PUT OUT, I GET FIVE TO SIX CALLS FOR JOBS. SO I WILL CONTINUE TO PUT OUT FLIERS OUT UNTIL I GET THE NUMBER OF YARDS I'M LOOKING FOR.

New business

I too have had lots of luck this year with folks stopping me while I am working wanting a bid. I even picked up a local branch of a national chain motel this way! Like was stated before, getting into a good neighborhood and doing QUALITY WORK will only help you. However, I have found that not just the ritzy neighborhoods get you business. I have had more luck this season in predominantly blue collar neighborhoods. These folks work long hard hours, typically have smaller yards and jsut do not have the time nor the energy at the end of the day to fool with mowing grass. One other method I have had luck with is "paying" my current customers for referrals. If they send me a referral who agrees to a year of service. I knock $20 off the bill that month for the customer who sent me the referral. I ahve all but stopped any advertising. It seemed that I would spend $40-$50 a month on advertising and never get a single call. However, now, I only "pay" for the advertising when I actually get a reference!